Culm – BR(W) 1950-1960 in EM
by Jonathan Buckie
|This page shows selected scenes from Jonathan's EM Gauge layout 'Culm';. The layout was featured in the December 2004 issue of Model Rail, and won 'Best in Show' at expoEM South in 2003.
The layout is based on the Culm Valley Light Railway, which opened in May 1876 connecting Hemyock with Tiverton junction. The track plan is roughly based on Hemyock as it was prior to relaying.
Baseboards are constructed from 6mm ply with the aim of being as light as possible. Track is flexi track from both C&L and SMP with Marcway points. Tortoise point motors are used throughout as they provide a realistic slow action.
Scenery has a Styrofoam base, covered in pre-coloured casting plaster. Rough grass is represented with insulation felt, while dyed surgical lint is used for the grass in the fields.
Buildings and structures have been moved from their real locations in the Culm Valley area and brought together to form the model. Most of the buildings are scratch built, although use has been made of commercial kits where appropriate.