GWR coach livery 1912–1922
||A 7mm diagram T34 Brake Third, from Roger Bailey's collection, and built from a Slater's kit. Image courtesy Roger Bailey
In 1908, the fully lined chocolate and cream was changed to an all-brown livery which lasted until 1912. Lining was applied.
In 1912, the colour was again changed to the rather more elegant crimson lake livery seen here, which was carried until July 1922. The official name for the 1912 colour was 'Lake 1912'. The war years did mean that repaints were often postponed, or in some cases replaced with whatever brown paint was at hand. These austerity measures do not, however, seem to have been as widely applied as was the case during WWII.
The crimson lake colour covered the entire sides, including the window bolections and droplights. Lining was in gold. Ends were all black, and (in principle) roofs were white, although these quickly became dirty grey. As illustrated in the photo above, the lining continued much as before – as did the garter crest and separate coat of arms on the sides. Lettering included "GWR" in the side panel above the garter crest.
Steam Railmotor 93 is watered at Llangollen in March 2011. Photo copyright and permission of Chris Foren.
General smoke pollution was considerably greater in the early part of the 20th century, but this interesting shot shows the weathering pattern developing on 93's roof after a few seasons. Old Oak Common open day, 2 September 2017. Image courtesy of Nick Gough.