GWR coach livery 1927–1934

 

Slaters GWR Toplight Brake 3rd diagram D47

Slaters D47 brake 3rd, picture courtesy of its owner, James Hilsdon

 

The 1927–1934 livery did away with the magnificent 'old world' lining schemes and introduced a new, modern finish.

The first step came in 1927, when a simple, two-tone chocolate and cream livery was introduced. This was at first devoid of all lining, but soon afterwards a single yellow line was introduced to define the boundary between the chocolate and cream.

From around 1929, this waist-lining was doubled (as in the photo adjacent). Ordinary stock continued with just a single line. The line was later changed to gold.

Droplights continued in mahogany. In 1928, the new livery was consolidated with the introduction of the coat of arms, replacing the garter crest.

The tops of axle boxes being painted blue began in 1927, but used only to indicate that the axle boxes had been modified.
GWR Super Saloon - Copyright: Finescale Locomotive Company

Collett 'Super Saloon' in Gauge 1, built by the Finescale Locomotive Company. Note oil-boxes in bright blue for identification.

Image courtesy Keith Holman

 

The simplified livery on a bow-ended Brake Composite diagram E129 of 1926, built from a 4mm Comet kit. Pairs of such coaches were attached end-to-end, typically for branch services, and in some operating divisions, this was known as a 'B-set'.

Image courtesy Comet Models
Comet bow-ended Brake Composite diagram E129



From the mid-1920s, some older Passenger Brake Vans began to be painted in all-over brown. Here is Tony Richards' 40' K29 (ex-K14) Passenger Luggage Van, running on 9' American bogies, and with the guard's side lookout removed and plated over. (There was little point in keeping such lookouts on narrow-bodied stock, given the width of most of the stock they were running with was 9' or more.) Tony's description of how he transformed this old Ks kit is given on the Swansea Railway Modellers Group site.

GWR K29 (ex-K14) Passenger Luggage Van